Weekly on Thursdays for 9 Weeks
Delivered October 7 – December 16, 2021
1:00 – 3:00 p.m. EDT ｜Online via Zoom
Participants of the Black Technology Ecosystem Investors Certificate Program will meet virtually via Zoom for nine weekly sessions. Here is a detailed overview of meeting dates, times and topics that will be covered in each session.
Session 1: The Case for Black Tech
Thursday, October 7: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this first session, we will explore the far-reaching impact of investing in the Black technology ecosystem, (an asset class that’s creating 66% of new startups) – how investing in the ecosystem gets more capital to Black founders and fund managers, which leads to impact beyond your personal ROI.
- Rodney Sampson, General Partner, 100 Black Angels & Allies Fund; Executive Chairman & CEO, OHUB; Nonresident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution; Keohane Distinguished Visiting Professorship at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Duke University
- Brad Feld, Cofounder, Foundry Group; Techstars & Author; The Startup Community Way: Evolving an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem (Wiley)
Session 2: History of Black Ecosystems and Venture Capital
Thursday, October 14: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this session, we will explore the history of Black Ecosystems and Venture Capital. You will be introduced to the asset class, a history of the asset class itself, and its potential to impact the Black American entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Bahiyah Yasmeen Robinson, Founder & CEO, Project Include
- Emmit McHenry, CEO, KAE Holdings; Founder, Network Solutions
Session 3: Navigating Black Tech
Thursday, October 21: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this class, we will show you how to navigate the Black tech startup ecosystem, and tell you who the players (including ecosystem developers, venture capitalists, fund managers, etc.) are so you know where to find the deal flow.
- Sherrell Dorsey, Founder, ThePlug
- Carmen Mays, Founder, Elevators on 4th
- Marcus Shaw, Partner, Equity District
Session 4: Risk, Legalities & the SEC
Thursday, October 28: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
You will leave this class with an understanding of the SEC regulations for the asset class, potential risks, and how they will impact you
- Brandon Andrews, Co-founder, Values Partnerships
- Jervis Hough, Chief Compliance Officer, SEC Representative
Session 5: Early Stage Investments
Thursday, November 4: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this session, we will talk about how to do due diligence, and how to make investment decisions. We will learn what it’s like to make a direct investment vs venture fund investment.
Session 6: Venture Stage Investing
Thursday, November 11: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this class, you will learn more about how to invest in venture funds, including how venture funds develop their investment thesis and conduct diligence.
- McKeever (Mac) Conwell II, General Partner, Rarebreed Ventures
- Chinedu Enekwe, General Partner, Aux21 Capital
- Nick Jean-Baptiste, General Partner, Jacmel Growth Partners
- Marlon Nichols, General Partner, MaC Venture Capital
- Nasir Quadree, General Partner, Zeal Capital Partners
Session 7: Questionnaires and Terms Sheets
Thursday, November 18: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this class, you will learn how to complete the necessary investment documents, like the investment questionnaire, deal memo, and term sheets. We will walk you through the process of showing you are accredited before you invest in this asset class.
- Scott Maucere, CEO, PUSHTOSTART; Managing Member, Maucere Law Group
(No session Thanksgiving week)
Session 8: Accounting, Taxes and Exits
Thursday, December 2: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
In this session, you will learn more about the tax implications of your investment, and required forms and filings such as the 83b election form and K1 tax forms.
- Kisha N. Ward, Tax Senior Manager, EY Private
- Derrick Williams, Founder and Principal, Williams & Williams Financial LLC; CFO, AcuityCFO
Session 9: Creating Black Wealth
Thursday, December 9: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
This session serves as a broad case for the Black wealthy class to invest in the ecosystem. We will explore affinity-based investing and the role of DEIS in investing.
- Marcia Bowden, CEO Point Group Enterprise LLC
- Bridget Chisholm, Co-Chair, The Links, Incorporated The Links Economic Empowerment Platform (LEEP)
Textbooks & Reading
- Kingonomics: Twelve Innovative Currencies for Transforming Your Future (Rodney Sampson, Ben Bella);
- Cracking The Funding Code (Judy Robinett, Harper Collins);
- Radical Collaboration for Black Wealth Creation (Living Cities)
- Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist (Brad Feld, Jason Mendelson)
Enrollment Deadline October 4, 2021
Do you have questions?
Our program advisors are here to help.